I’ve just been musing on when is a startup no longer a startup?
The definition on wiki is rather vague defining it as: ‘a recently formed company’
Is it …..
- when the founder(s) get VC funding / list on a stock exchange / earn out and exit ?
- after x years where x cannot be greater than 5?
- when turnover is greater than £1 million (or maybe $ or € 1 million is worth more?!)
- when a founder has 3 months working capital in cash in the bank and isn’t worrying about how he/she is going to pay the current month’s employee salaries?
- when you can search on Google and the first ten pages are all direct links to the company/brand name
- when the company is in the black?
- when one or more founders leave the company (for reasons other than the first one mentioned above)
- when you get free PR in local newspapers, national broadsheets, the tabloids?
- when the company is profitable?
- when your product or service is instantly recognisable out there on the streets or on the internet?
What do you think?