Daily huddles in the right safe, comfortable, supportive work environment are powerful.
What is a daily huddle?
Some SME companies, especially if they are people and project based (eg. design, marketing company) may do what’s known as a daily huddle – takes 5 minutes. It’s a standup thing where everyone quickly gathers around in a circle and fires through a pre-agreed topics list. Everyone comes prepared! Normally, there’s a compere who makes sure the huddle is quick, covers what’s needed and encourages everyone to participate.
A typical huddle topics list could be:
- Good news
- Any resource capacity issues? (people, time, money)
- What is each person’s no.1 deliverable?
- Who needs help?
- The ‘Aha’ moment (share statistics/future trends which could be business or random related!)
Why have a huddle?
- It helps the team feel like a team as everyone knows what each other is doing and who can help whom
- Bottlenecks can be quickly discovered and dealt with
- Find out if a daily or weekly huddle works for you and helps with morale and teamwork
- Choose someone other than you to compere
Variations on a daily huddle theme:
- If a daily huddle is too much, do it weekly – I recommend at the start of the week
- If you have remote people, get them to dial in / video conference in
- From time to time change the location of the daily huddles
- Change the compere each month