You’ll use chemicals and equipment to deal with insects and animals like rats, mice, foxes, moles and birds. You could work anywhere from people’s homes to restaurants, sewers, warehouses or farms.
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- investigating and identifying pests
- collecting dead animals and samples for analysis
- finding out how pests are getting in
- choosing a method of control
- spraying chemicals to get rid of insects
- laying poison and traps or using air guns to control birds and animals
- repairing an area to stop pests returning
- advising people how to prevent further problems
- completing reports and keeping records
- handling and storing chemicals
- getting rid of dead or captured animals
With experience you could specialise in one type of pest.