Here’s how to prepare to brainstorm and get the most of it:
- 1 brain (preferably attached to a living body)
- 1 litre of drinking water
- 1 pen (working, have a spare or two just in case)
- 1 whiteboard
- 1 eraser
- Lots of paper (A4 size will do)
- 1 comfortable seat / sofa / lounger
- Some themed music (playing softly in the background)
- +10 years of software delivery experience
- Months of frustration
- Desire to utilise technology as an enabler
- Need to sell direct to end user
- Take that comfortable seat. Relax by breathing in deeply – in through the nose and exhale through the mouth.
- Preheat brain to’brainstorming’ levels, making sure that you don’t overheat.
- Take the experience, frustration and desire, dump into brain at the same time. Add water (drink it!) and 110% positivity. Turn on the creativity switch, sit there and mix it all in. Let it swirl around for ten minutes.
- After those ten minutes, pick up the pen and scribble on whiteboard.
- Check scribblings for logic. Replace 110% positivity with 110% negativity and erase any undesirable scribbles.
- Repeat steps 2-5 above until there is a outline of ‘the concept’. (Or if flagging take a break, go stretch out your legs and come back to it within 24 hours.)
- Once the concept outline has been formed, now write it down on paper before if disappears! Use keywords and if pictures form, that’s ok. In fact, that’s great as we all know that a picture is worth a thousand words.
- Serve it up whilst hot, sit back and bask in the glory that you now have a concept.
Tip: Get someone to taste it (once cooled) to see what their reaction to it is!